Welcome

The objective of this blog is to provide readers a forum for their opinions regarding where to eat in Costa Rica. The blog will be blunt, to the point, honest, and hopefully fair.



The result is to find restaurants where you can enjoy the food and environment without regard to being trendy, touristy, or "local".



In the process some restaurants may feel they were unjustly (or justly) reviewed. Make the point in responding and updates may be reflected in updated reveiws.

Become a follower and receive the latest updates automatically without having to visit the site.


Enjoy and eat your heart out.



Sunday, May 8, 2011

New World Restaurant - Escazu - MYA

 

Located on the south side of the road between San Rafael, Escazu and the Paco Commercial centerin Plaza Obelisco.  MYA was a very plreasant surprise.  I will continue to return in the future and try to taste the range of items on the menu but for my first trip and my second (the following day) it was refreshingly different and very good.


My order was a grilled tuna that I have to say was what I would consider the best I’ve had in Costa Rica.  I had other places I thought were great but this place tops them all – and it is not even on the beach.  Let’s get to the point(s).\

Web Site - http://www.myanewworldcuisine.com
GPS Coordinates – 9°55’48.86”N, 84° 8’21.93”W
Telephone - +(506) 2288-0569 / 2288-0570
Schedule – Monday – Thursday, 11:30 am to 10:00 pm.  Friday and Saturday, 11:30 am to 11:00 pm.

Service – Good attitude, enthusiastic, attentive and responsive.  We were the only  customers at 6:30 pm on a Saturday night with the exception of a small group in a corner having champagne with the owner.  Both co-owners came to our table to say hello and explain their own feelings about the restaurant.  It is always nice to have the owner(s) or the Chef come by and recognize their customers.  This shows confidence and pride in the food they prepare.   The waiter knew the menu and when asked for a specialty of the house he easily explained various items on the menu.  When I asked about a particular appetizer, the Camarones Jerk (Shrimp), I was told in a polite and professional way that it was an excellent selection.  It was.  Water was offered, and the waiter returned to refill when they noticed the glass was reaching empty without having to be told. 

Food – The “Camarones Jerk” ordered as an appetizer was refreshingly different.  Not to spicy and not under flavored.  Excellent and recommended.   The grilled Tuna, “Atun Jalat” could not have been cooked any more perfect.  It might be considered my favorite of all time in Costa Rica and that is said after having some excellent grilled tuna in many places through the country.  I ordered my tuna “red” in the middle and grilled on the outside.  Slightly cold in side and nicely warm on the outside.   I feel sure the chef would have done equally as good on any order.

Price -  A little on the higher end but well worth something different and well made.  Two people with a glass of wine and a shared dessert ended at about C29,000 (about U.S.$60.00). 

Ambiance – Nice furniture, comfortable, temperature perfect, clean appearance with a nice designers touch to the interior.    The wine storage was obvious as it sits in the corner of the restaurant and looks a little out of place but none-the-less showed an interest by the owners in offering fine wines.  This is the type of restaurant would do well in a place like Avenida Escazu.  Its’ hip, different but refined, fun yet subtle.  

General – I tried this restaurant the following day in an attempt to confirm what I had the previous night.  I ordered the grilled chicken “Pasta Mediterranea” which confirmed my initial thoughts about this restaurant.  The chicken was great – uniquely different and fresh.  Interesting, my two guests ordered the Tuna I had ordered the previous night and I was told (both are not shy to provide their opinions) they agreed, the grilled tuna was excellent.

Final Note – I could give my final note but I won’t – let it be said I’ll be back until something does not meet the standard the owners have set for themselves at that point you will see my FINAL NOTE.  I will keep blogging about this restaurant.

No comments:

Post a Comment